- 500 g (1 lb) ground Quebec Milk-Fed Veal
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) fresh basil, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Kaiser buns with roasted sesame seeds
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Slices of roasted Portobello mushrooms for garnish
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) ricotta
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) dried tomato pesto
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) pepper
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta, dried tomato pesto and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the ground veal, onion, fresh basil, pepper, breadcrumbs and egg.
- Make 8 burgers approximately 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick. Spoon approximately
15 ml (1 tablespoon) of the stuffing mixture over 4 burgers and place other 4 burgers on top. Seal the outside by gently squeezing the edges together with a fork.
- Brush the burgers with Worcestershire sauce.
- Grill on barbecue (BBQ) over high heat for 1 minute on each side. Continue cooking over medium-low heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until meat is brown on the outside and is no longer pink on the inside. Serve the veal burgers on Kaiser buns.
- Top with remaining stuffing mixture, basil leaves and slices Portobello mushrooms. Serve with strips of roasted pepper.
Variation: Omit the basil in the ground veal mix. Replace the dried tomato pesto by basil pesto and the slice of roasted Portobello mushroom by a slice of tomato.