Marinade for milk-fed veal:
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sherry vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 1 small leek, cleaned and finely chopped
- 500 g (1 lb) Quebec Milk-Fed Veal sirloin roast
- 750 ml (3 cups) leaf lettuce, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) spinach
- 1 small bunch (28 g) fresh mint
Marinade for fruit:
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) hot water
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) Triple Sec
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sherry vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon zest
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fennel seeds
- 500 ml (2 cups) strawberries, cut in half
- 1 mango cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon slices for garnish
- In a shallow dish, mix the olive oil, sherry vinegar, lemon juice and leek. Add the milk-fed veal roast.
- Coat well, cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Turn roast while it is marinating. Remove roast from marinade, drain and discard remaining marinade.
- Grill the roast on the barbecue (BBQ) over medium-high heat, taking care to use indirect heat (i.e. one burner lighted on one side, the roast on the other side) for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is cooked on the outside and slightly pink inside. (Inside temperature 66°C or 150°F).
- Turn often during cooking to brown meat on all sides.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the lettuce, spinach and fresh mint leaves. Cover and set aside in refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, mix the honey and hot water and stir to dissolve honey. Add Triple Sec, oil, sherry vinegar, lemon zest and fennel seeds. Pour marinade over strawberries and mango cubes.
- Coat well, cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Drain fruit and set marinade aside.
- Remove the roast from the barbecue and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Cut into thin slices.
- Divide the salad onto four plates and place the veal slices, strawberries and mango cubes on top.
- Baste with reserved fruit marinade, then season to taste.
- Decorate with lemon slices and serve with country-style bread.
Variation: replace Triple Sec by Pernod and the lemon zest by orange zest. Omit fennel seeds.