- 800 g to 1 kg (1 3/4 lb to 2 lb) Quebec Milk-Fed Veal boneless shoulder roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter or oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) mirepoix (carrots, celery, onions – optional)
- 250 ml (1 cup) Prepared Concentrated Veal Stock or chicken broth
- 50 g (1/3 cup) dried apricots, cut in 1 cm strips
- 40 g (1/4 cup) dried cranberries
- 40 g (1/4 cup) nuts or pecans in pieces
- 100 ml (4 oz) Jamaican dark rum
- 250 ml (1 cup) demi-glace sauce
- Salt and pepper the milk-fed veal roast.
- In a frying pan, melt butter at high heat and brown the shoulder roast on all sides. Decorate with some of the crystallized fruit and nuts and place on the mirepoix or on a grill in a dripping pan and add veal stock.
- Cover and cook in oven at 300°F (150°C) for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove roast from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Keep juice to thin the demi-glace sauce, if necessary.
- Deglaze the frying pan with crystallized fruit, nuts and rum.
- Add demi-glace sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until desired consistency. At serving time, reheat and season the sauce.
- Cut roast in thin slices and coat with sauce. Accompany dish with market vegetables and baked potatoes.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for
Quebec Milk-Fed Veal.