- Butter (sufficient quantity)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) finely chopped onions
- 1 kg (2 lb) ground Quebec Milk-Fed Veal
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) pepper
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 to 2 eggs (depending on desired texture)
- 2 commercial pie shells
- In a skillet, melt the butter and brown the onions and ground milk-fed veal.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until the meat is fully cooked. Do not throw out the cooking juices. Milk-fed veal is a lean meat and the juices consist mainly of gelatin, which gives the meat a moist texture.
- Cool the mixture in the refrigerator until the internal temperature reaches 38°F (3°C).
- When cool, add the salt, pepper, allspice and egg(s).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the first pie shell in a 10-inch (25 cm) pie plate, fill with the mixture and add the second pie shell on top.
- Trim the pie shell to 1/2 inch (1.2 cm) from the edge of the plate and fold back the rim, pressing along the edge of the plate. Make a few slashes in the top crust.
- Bake in the oven on the middle rack for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for
Quebec Milk-Fed Veal.