- 1 leg roast of Quebec Milk-Fed Veal (allow 75 g per person for a side dish serving or 120 g for a main dish serving)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- Mirepoix (onions, celery and carrots cut into large pieces) (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500 ml (2 cups) demi-glace sauce
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 65 ml (1/4 cup) yellow sugar for a slightly sour sauce
or 125 ml (1/2 cup) yellow sugar for a slightly sweet sauce
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Rub the leg roast of milk-fed veal with the garlic, then place in a roasting pan on top of the mirepoix, or on a grill.
- Season the leg roast and the mirepoix.
- Put the roast in the oven and turn it over midway through cooking to brown well on all sides.
- Cook until the inside temperature reaches 150°F (66°C), or about 30 minutes per inch of thickness at 300°F (150°C).
- Prepare the sauce by mixing all the ingredients together and simmer until the cranberries are cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the roast is cooked, cover and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the cranberry sauce and asparagus and carrots.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for
Quebec Milk-Fed Veal.