- 4 Quebec Milk-Fed Veal sirloin pavé steaks,
110 to 120 g (4 oz) each
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) raspberry vinegar
- 250 ml (1 cup) Prepared Concentrated Veal Stock
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Season the milk-fed veal pavé steaks with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a skillet and brown the steaks quickly over high heat.
- Place on a grill in a roasting pan and finish roasting in the oven. The steaks are ready when the internal temperatures reaches 150°F (66°C), the meat juices appear on the surface and the steaks begin to shrink. Remove from the oven a few minutes before serving.
- To prepare the gastrique sauce, deglaze the skillet with the raspberry vinegar, then add the veal stock and honey. Boil the sauce to reduce the volume by two-thirds or until it reaches a syrupy consistency.
- To plate, arrange the pavé steaks on a bed of rice. Spoon gastrique lightly over the top and serve with sautéed vegetables.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for Quebec Milk-Fed Veal.