- 4 Quebec Milk-Fed Veal sirloin or striploin pavé steaks,
110 to 120 g (4 oz) each
- Two colours of sesame seeds in sufficient quantity
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Wafu sauce
Thick teriyaki sauce:
- 250 ml (1 cup) brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) soya sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) water
- A few drops of Asian Sriracha hot sauce
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high temperature.
- In a small saucepan, mix all the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce. Combine all the ingredients with a whisk, bring to a boil and cook until the brown sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- To avoid contamination, pour the quantity of sauce needed to brush over the milk-fed veal pave steaks into a bowl and keep the extra sauce in the refrigerator for later use.
- Brush the teriyaki sauce over the steaks and coat the edges with the sesame seeds.
- Cook on the barbecue 2 to 4 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature reaches 150°F (66°C), the meat juices appear on the surface and the steaks begin to shrink. The cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the meat.
- Serve on a bed of rice and vegetables accompanied by Wafu sauce garnished with a few drops of the refrigerated teriyaki sauce.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for Quebec Milk-Fed Veal.