- 1 piece of Quebec Milk-Fed Veal filet, strip steak or sirloin weighing about 500 g (1 lb)
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 finely chopped French shallots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the vinaigrette and set aside.
- Trim the milk-fed veal filet and cut it into 1/2 cm (1/4 in) cubes.
- In a stainless steel cul-de-poule mixing bowl, mix the vinaigrette with the milk-fed veal cubes. Do not use your hands to avoid contamination. Also ensure that the container is in contact with ice to preserve food safety.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- When you’re ready to serve, begin arranging the verrine glasses by place thin slices of red onion, avocado or apples in each glass, then add 30 to 50 g (2 to 3 tbsp) of tartare.
Note: For an Asian flavour, replace the oil with sesame oil, replace the Dijon mustard with pepper sauce and add a little curry to taste.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chief and training consultant for Quebec Milk-Fed Veal.