- Butter or oil (sufficient quantity)
- 500 g (1 lb) ground Quebec Milk-Fed Veal
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) finely chopped onion
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) salsa
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried herbes de Provence
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 24 bread rolls
- In a skillet, melt the butter and cook the ground milk-fed veal and onionsns.
- Add the salsa, tomato paste and herbes de Provence. Simmer for 10 minutes and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Before stuffing the rolls, let the mixture cool in the refrigerator until the internal temperature reaches 38°F (3°C).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Fill the rolls, place them on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, then serve.
Variations: Add mozzarella or any other cheese to the mixture after it has cooled. Use vol-au-vent (puff pastry shells), mini-pitas or any other base for the milk-fed veal filling.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for
Quebec Milk-Fed Veal.