For the meatballs:
- 500 g (1 lb) ground Quebec Milk-Fed Veal
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Italian seasoning
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground pepper
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground chili pepper for spicy meatballs or 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) for mild meatballs
For the stew:
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 500 ml (2 cups) chopped vegetables (1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, 1 small onion and 1/2 red pepper)
- 3 litres (12 cups) water
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) veal stock concentrate, in paste form
- 1 package (500 g) ready-made gnocchis
- 113 g (4 oz) sliced white mushrooms
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) snipped fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 ciabatta baguette
For the meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a stainless steel bowl, mix all the ingredients for the meatballs until the mixture is slightly sticky.
- Shape the meatballs using approximately 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the meat mixture for each meatball.
- Set the meatballs on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, turning the meatballs halfway through until the inside of the meatballs is no longer pink.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
For the stew
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the diced vegetables for 1 or 2 minutes.
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil and add the veal stock.
- Simmer on medium heat for several minutes. Filter or clarify the broth to obtain a clear liquid.
- Bring the broth back to a boil. Add the meatballs, the mushrooms and the vegetables to the saucepan and let simmer over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the gnocchis and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Serve the stew in large bowls. Garnish with snipped spinach leaves.
- Accompany the stew with slices of ciabatta baguette and a square of butter.