- 1 Quebec Milk-Fed Veal blade roast, approximately 900 g (2 lb) and 5 cm (2 in.) thick
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 (50 g) onion, finely chopped
- 1 (50 g) celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 (50 g) carrot, finely chopped
- 1 (5 g) clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 350 ml (1 1/2 cup) veal stock
- 350 ml (1 1/2 cup) demi-glace sauce
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) dry white wine
- 75 ml (1/2 can) tomato paste
- Zest of 1 lemon (10 g)
(Select the desired cooking method)
Slow cooker/crock pot
- Set the slow cooker on high.
- Salt and pepper the roast.
- In a frying pan, heat oil on high and brown the roast, vegetables and garlic.
- Place the vegetables on the bottom of the slow cooker and place the roast on top of the vegetables.
- Deglaze the frying pan with veal stock, add demi-glace sauce, white wine, tomato paste and lemon zest.
- Bring to a boil and pour in the slow cooker.
- Cover and simmer for 5 to 6 hours or until the meat gives away easily with pressure or the internal temperature reaches 195°F (90°C).
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In an oven-proof dish, ideally enameled cast iron, oil the bottom of the dish, spread onion, celery, carrot and garlic to form a layer.
- Place roast on the layer of vegetables, then salt and pepper the roast.
- Cook uncovered in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in frying pan, bring the mix of liquids (veal stock, demi-glace sauce, white wine, tomato paste and lemon zest) to a boil.
- Turn the roast, add sauce, cover and cook in the oven for an additional hour 30 minutes, until the meat gives away easily with pressure or the internal temperature reaches 195°F (90°C).
- Remove from oven and serve.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for Quebec Milk-Fed Veal.