- 1 kg (2 lb) cubes of Quebec Milk-Fed Veal
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 pinch ground laurel
- 12 g (2 tsp) coarse salt
- 4 g (2 tsp) ground pepper
- 350 g (2 cups) potatoes cut in small cubes
- 500 g (1 lb) commercial pie dough
- 1 egg beaten with a little milk (egg wash)
- 500 ml (2 cups) Prepared Concentrated Veal Stock or chicken broth
- In a round-bottomed mixing bowl, mix cubes of milk-fed veal, onion, laurel, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
- Remove meat from refrigerator, add potatoes and mix well.
- Roll out two pastries with pie dough. Place the first one in a pie plate of
10 in. x 2 in. (25 cm x 5 cm), place meat mix in it and cover with second pastry after making a big hole in the middle to add liquid during cooking.
- Seal the outside of the meat pie and coat with egg wash.
- Place in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes in order to bake the crust.
- In a frying pan, bring the veal stock to a boil before pouring a portion into the centre of the meat pie.
- Continue baking in the oven at 300°F (150°C) for 3 to 4 hours (the longer the cooking time, the more the meat will flake apart.) Add the rest of the veal stock in the meat pie during cooking; if necessary, continue adding boiling water if you run out of stock.
- Serve with small vegetables.