- 1 rack of Quebec Milk-Fed Veal, 6 ribs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter in sufficient quantity
- 250 ml (1 cup) Prepared Concentrated Veal Stock
- 250 ml (1 cup) demi-glace sauce
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) red wine
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) green peppercorn
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Trim and season the rack of milk-fed veal.
- Heat a little butter in a skillet and brown the rack of milk-fed veal. Remove it from the skillet and place it on the grill of a dripping pan.
- Place the dripping pan in the oven and cook the rack of milk-fed veal until the internal temperature reaches 150°F (66°C) or the meat juices rise to the surface and the rack of milk-fed veal begins to shrink.
- In the meantime, deglaze the skillet with red wine and add the veal stock, followed by the demi-glaze sauce and the green peppercorn.
- Reduce the sauce to the consistency. For maximum flavour, reduce it by at least half and then adjust the seasoning, if necessary. For a smoother sauce, strain the sauce and whisk in some butter.
- Remove the veal from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Cut the rack of milk-fed veal between the ribs, spoon the sauce over the veal and serve with the side dishes of your choice.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for Quebec Milk-Fed Veal.